Great PALLIATIVE CARE
Palliative Care is the relief and treatment of mental and physical pain, without curing the causes, in patients suffering from a terminal illness.
HOW IT WORKS
Palliative Care at Great Ocean Road Health:
- Provides relief from pain and other distressing symptoms
- Affirms life and regards dying as a normal process
- Intends neither to hasten nor postpone death
- Integrates psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care
- Offers a support system to help patients live as actively as possible until death
- Offers a support system to help the family cope during the patient’s illness and in bereavement.
- Uses a team approach to address the needs of the patients and their families – this can include Bereavement Support
SUPPORT FOR AGED CARE RESIDENTS
Residents with a life-limiting illness are offered Palliative Care that improves their quality of life through:
- The prevention of suffering
- The treatment of pain
- The identification of physical, social and spiritual needs
The unique needs of dying patients are considered, their comfort maximised and their dignity preserved. Appropriate cultural resources (including interpreter services) are used to help clients and their family to express their needs in culturally safe and individually relevant ways.